October 15, 2010
7 quick takes
1. It's 4:40am and I've been up for a little while. That kinda sucks. Also, I should be working on something else, if I'm gonna be working on anything, but I'd much rather eat Frosted Flakes and type this.
2. I'm in the midst of Operation Dry Up, but someone hasn't told my milk ducts. The only way I know to dry up is by getting pregnant and that's not gonna happen right now (mental note: begin charting). I am still pumping because I don't want mastitis, but I am not emptying the breasts. I was hoping to notice a drop in output after 3 or so days but no luck.
3. The reason for Operation Dry Up? JF will be coming home very soon and I don't think there's any way I can pump and take care of all the kids and not go crazy. And I'm not being flippant about the crazy part. I remember post partum with L and so I know it's within my realm to have a very, very ugly, difficult time adjusting. Taking one thing off my plate, even something as good as breastmilk is simply the right thing to do.
4. Ben had an appointment with an allergist earlier this week. As was suspected, he is allergic to dairy, eggs, peanuts, dogs, and cats. The good news: his allergy to dairy and eggs manifests itself only in itchy rashes and dry skin so there's a chance he may outgrow those. Yay for ice cream and French toast! The bad news: his peanut allergy is more severe and so we should begin reading labels and removing all peanut-y things from his diet. More bad news: the dog and cat thing he may also outgrow but it often morphs into seasonal allergies, pollens, trees, etc. He is also more likely to develop asthma. Because of this my in laws will have to do some major pet hair removal before his arrivals and my dad will have to quit smoking forever. Okay, so the quit smoking thing is really good for everyone, but it'll be hard for Dad. And really, he wouldn't have to quit, but we're going to use Ben's condition as another reason why he has to. But don't tell him that!
5. A lot of friends have been bringing us meals. I just want to thank you for doing that. It's soooo nice to not have to budget meal prep into my days. It leaves more time for kids, which is something I really need right now (so do they!). It's also wonderful - and I mean really, really wonderful - to not have to exert the mental energy for meal planning and grocery shopping. And, of course, it's also nice to get to eat really good dinners every night. :)
6. Today JF gets an upper gi test to see if he has acid reflux. If he does they will do some stomach surgery to correct it while they put in his feeding tube. (I encourage you to google "g tube" to see what it looks like.) So yes, JF is getting a feeding tube. Basically he is having problems nippling his entire feedings and is still at risk for aspirating. I have a very strong feeling that he will improve with these things when he's home, being fed by the same 2-4 people, not on a feeding schedule, not interrupted from his sleep for various reasons. However, I also know we will be using the g tube to make sure he's getting all the calories he needs, especially as he continues to heal and get stronger. I am not as scared or sad about the g tube as I once was, though I do pray for healing of JF's brain and throat so he will eat safely and normally.
7. Yesterday I went shopping for a few new pieces of clothes. For at least a year I've been wearing hand-me-down jeans from a friend with a different body type than mine. I finally got a new pair - and from a real department store - not Wal Mart or Target! I also bought a new pair of black flats since my old flats are now too small for my pregnancy-grown feet. I looked at shirts, too, but only felt affirmed that if you're large chested and all around fat there's not many choices available unless you want to wear things that are too small or have the same wardrobe as your mother. Mom's clothes look great on Mom, but they're not my style. This is why I looked like crap in high school.
I'm going to start this with the ending and you can read the middle if you want: on Thursday the 11th our first born will be having open...
I know that all the ins and outs of the court case that is tied to Fulton Sheen's cause for canonization can be confusing. I will try my...
Some of you may have been wondering and some of you even guessed and now this is the announcement some of you even asked about. We are...