My brother, who works for a telephone company has said repeatedly that it is far safer to have a landline than a cell phone in case of an emergency. As the mother of toddlers I have listened to his words and so, when many people are getting rid of their landlines and opting to only have cell phones, we resently installed one in our house.
Some quick facts:
- A landline can tell the dispatchers *exactly* where you're calling from.
- A cell phone can only give a general proximity for where you're calling from.
- The above is true even if you have GPS on your phone.
- Adults misunderstand even me when I tell them where I live. If L had to give someone our address (which she sorta kinda can) they might not get here.
- We've had to call 911 twice in the past three years.
Don't believe me about the pros of a landline and the cons of a cell phone. Watch this news clip.